But what if you have wired IP cameras and want to achieve the same result – block PoE IP cameras from accessing the Internet? Fear not, all you need to have is a managed Unifi switch like the one I have – Unifi Switch 8.
Assuming you have already created a VLAN as described in Step 1 of this tutorial, here are the steps to group or assign wired Ethernet devices into a VLAN:
Step 1: Create a switch port profile
- Log into your Unifi Controller dashboard and click on the settings button (gear icon)
- From the settings menu, select ‘Profiles’, and then select the ‘Switch Ports’ tab
- Click ‘Add New Port Profile’
- Type in a profile name, I like to use the same name as the VLAN created ‘IPCameras’.
- Select the VLAN under the Tagged Networks section.
- Click Save
Step 2: Plug in your Ethernet device
Into a port of your Unifi managed switch, and note the port number. Let’s assume it is a PoE device, so let’s pick port 6.back to menu ↑
Step 3: Assign Unifi switch port to the new switch port profile
- From your Unifi Controller dashboard and click on the Devices button from the left menu
- Click on your Unifi Switch, this should open a slide-out menu on the right
- Click on the Ports section
- Click on the edit button (pencil icon) next to port 6
- Click the dropdown called ‘Switch Port Profile’
- Select the switch port profile you created earlier and click the apply button.
The switch will now provision the port and after a few minutes, you are in business!back to menu ↑
Liked this tutorial? Let me know in the comments below what else you would like me to cover.