Welcome to the online home of the VueVille smart residence. I am Daniel and I write this blog together with my wife and expert input from my 2 little boys 🙂
We are all about building an affordable, reliable and secure DIY smart home. Using hand-picked DIY home security cameras and a DIY home automation system we designed our home to meet the following requirements:
- Super-reliable: Your home should be reachable from the Internet so that you can check in when you are away, and so that it can alert you if needed. But it should not be reliant on the Internet/Cloud to function, or in other words we want ‘local processing’ of our events, actions and data. We don’t want our hub taking seconds to talk to a cloud server halfway across the world to turn on a light 10 feet away from it! Just look into the Samsung SmartThings fiasco to see what happens when the cloud servers go down!
The problem with most smart home gear these days is that they are designed to tie you into the manufacturer’s ecosystem and this is usually achieved by making the products reliant on connecting to the company servers. Of course there’s a regular fee or subscription for that! These costs add up over time! Think Total Cost of Ownership (TCO) not just the sticker price!
- Super-safe: A fully integrated system that talks to each other. Yet another reason we want to keep all our data within our home and not be reliant on the Internet/ corporate cloud systems is the ever increasing threat of cloud hacking and wilful spying by 3rd parties (think Apple iCloud hack and the Facebook-Cambridge Analytics scandal).
We strongly believe that you get a more flexible system, at a much better price if you go DIY and spec your own kit. Why pay a monthly subscription for a cookie-cutter monitored system, when you can DIY it.
So what do we mean by DIY? Anything that is not a monitored solution for which you have to pay a monthly or yearly fee, I am talking about systems such as Frontpoint and ADT. Read more about us on our about page.
We are DIY fans not just because we love DIY, but also because it gives us a major boost on our journey to financial independence.
When my wife and I decided we wanted a smart home with smart security and we wanted to DIY it, we just couldn’t find the information we needed. So we spent countless hours educating ourselves, then took all the research we had done and started this blog as a fun way to document everything we had learned. As we added more and more gadgets to our smart home, we kept adding our thoughts and experiences to build VueVille up to what it is today.
If you would like to start from the basics, these guides are the best introductions we have:
- The VueVille Smart Home DIY Framework
- The Ultimate Guide to IP Cameras
- The Ultimate Home Automation Guide
Home security cameras are a great option for deterring intruders and keeping your family safe. All-in-one kits are excellent for beginners:
If you want to choose your IP cameras yourself, we recommend the following posts:
Smart doorbells are perfect for your front door without looking like a conventional security camera. Check out our latest recommendations for 2017:
Our DIY Home CCTV System
Curious about how we did it? We spill the beans with a complete kit list of our DIY CCTV system.back to menu ↑
Our DIY Home Automation System
This is what my home automation system looks like.back to menu ↑
Home Security Gear Reviews
Check out our in-depth reviews of gear we recommend for your smart home.back to menu ↑